In April 2013, the Government announced new funding to improve the provision of Physical Education (PE) and Sport in primary schools. Every Primary school receives a block amount plus an additional sum based on the number of pupils on roll. The money must be spent on improving current provision and providing sustainable PE and Sport. Schools are free to determine how best to use the funding but must work towards: – improving the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision (both in the curriculum and extra curriculum) – increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils have an opportunity to take part – developing healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of The PE Premium Funding provides an excellent opportunity for the school to further improve its PE provision.
School Vision and Aims
At Admirals Academy we pride ourselves with providing inspirational opportunities to make learning both enjoyable and memorable.
Through our commitment to the use of PE and Sport funding we aim to:
• provide opportunities for all children to develop an enjoyment and enthusiasm for PE and Sport both in school and as part of their everyday lives
• enable all children to understand the importance of the long-term health benefits associated with physical activity
• instil and inspire a lifelong interest in physical activity and sport
Action Key Points
In order for Admirals Academy to achieve and maintain our vision we will focus on the following areas:
– enable the children to experience a wider range of sports
– increase the subject knowledge of all teaching staff – increase the school’s participation in sports competitions
– monitor the teaching of PE to ensure it is of a high quality
– obtain pupil, staff and parent feedback regarding PE opportunities in and out of school hours
Admirals Academy PE and Sports Grant Financial Statement
Funding for 2015/16
Government funding: £9700
The following is how we have used the funding for the academic year 2015/2016:
Staff Professional Development
– Teacher CPD
– Supply costs – Travel costs for Thetford Games, Breckland events and county finals. Children at Admirals Academy are never asked to cover the costs of travel to sporting events.
– Rounders and Kwik Cricket equipment
– PE equipment and resources
– Playtime equipment
– Funding for A&M Multisports to provide high quality PE lessons and sports coaching during PPA activities. A&M send qualified sports coaches to teach children – they also run our after school multiskills club.
– Full membership of the Breckland School Sports Partnership
– Participation in various sporting tournaments and competitions – principally the Thetford Games events but also Breckland swimming, cross country and tag rugby. Children from Admirals Academy have also reached the county finals in cross country and swimming.
– Transport costs to events and supply cover for teachers who attend
Impact of Spending
Improved PE teaching – staff are more confident of the resources available and the skills they need to teach PE effectively
Guaranteed 2 PE/Sport sessions per week for all years
Increased participation in cluster competitive sport events and huge success in those events:
Thetford Games athletics (carried over from 2014/15 Winners
This victory also sealed the overall Thetford Games champions trophy
Thetford Games Cross Country Winners
Thetford Games Tag Rugby Winners
Qualified for area finals
Thetford Games Netball Competition Winners
Breckland Swimming Gala 5 children qualified for county finals
Breckland Cross Country 8 children qualified for county finals
Thetford Games Outdoor Adventurous Activities (year 5 and 6) Winners
Training in sports for staff – rounders and cricket
92 pupils have represented Admirals Academy in sporting competitions this year. This is over a quarter of the school.
Breakdown of these children:
English as Additional Language 14
Pupil Premium 10
Plans for future funding
– Kit for competitions
– After school extra-curricular clubs
– Further staff CPD